Saturday, May 17, 2008

Splash

Two main versions:

* "LPD Version" (1982) - Premonition (2:58), Under Triple Moons (2:58)

The song crossfades in from "As If..." and crossfades out into "Submerged."

Instruments: Single-pattern drum machine; organ chords; keyboard bassline; single intimate vocal track; source recording of people walking around.

* "Ka-Spel Version" (1989) - Perhaps We'll Only See a Thin Blue Line (4:23), Needles Three (4:23)

A much more "in-your-face" version of the song which sounds very mid-80s ("Khataclimici China Doll" era), partly due to the over-the-top drum programming and the guitar solos. The friends now "slap" him on the back, and the "grinning/spinning" lyrics are reversed. Ends abruptly with windy echo sound.

Never released previously; a treat added to the compilation releases.

Instruments: Drum machine; synth piano chords; single vocal track; keyboard bassline; thunderous surf synths; two tracks of electric guitar; warm synth pads near the end.

What It's About:

The narrator has a serious drinking problem, which he compares to a feeling of drowning. His friends recognize his alcoholism but continue to encourage him to drink, and the narrator doesn't even bother trying to resist...he just keeps drowning.

Lyrics (adapted from the Cloud-Zero archive):

Whisky needs and wine gums, real ones, brandy on my mind,
in my blood, in my liver, like a river. Walking under water,
short of breath. My speech is sort of slurred,
it's a blur. Much too late for turning back now.

I'm drowning. I'm drowning.
Clowning with my friends in the station.

Parties on the patio with patronizing friends who pat me
on the back, say "Have another, you'll recover." Cover up the cracks.
Blacking out, keep on grinning, spinning.
I know I'll never win this fight.

I'm drowning. Drowning.
Clowning with my friends in the station, in the gutter.

Stinking rich and sinking pitchers full of Slivowitz.
It gives me fits and makes me spit in pits of poison.
It annoys them. It destroys them.
But they let me keep on drowning.

Drowning.
Clowning with my friends in the station, in the gutter.

Drowning.

Why You Should Care:

"Prelude for a Splash" appears on "Chyekk China Doll," but it doesn't have any obvious connection to this song.

No comments: