Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Wedding

Two main versions:

* "Shoo-be-doo Version" (1981) - Chemical Playschool 2 (3:41)

Fades in, cutting off the first vocals. A slow, churchy song that perfectly matches the lyrics.

Unavailable elsewhere.

Instruments: Keyboard arpeggio; synth bassline; eerie synth melody; two vocal tracks.

* "Intimate Version" (1982) - Brigher Now (4:07)

With even fewer instruments than the original, a real acoustic piano, and relatively few effects, this is a much more intimate version than the original. The lyrics are almost identical, though the "shoo-be-doo" line is only said by the quiet second voice. The song ends suddenly with a glitch as though the tape were physically stopped.

Instruments: Piano arpeggio; single vocal track, sometimes with second far-off vocal repeating key lyrics; ominous "Ohhhh" voice during the final amen.

What It's About:

A groom, in the middle of his wedding ceremony, thinks flippantly about the occasion, planning future sexual conquests and feeling little more than disdain for his trusting bride. He also reflects on the silliness of the solemn occasion, which he considers "obscene" in its meaninglessness but which others take very seriously. We know this wedding is doomed.

Lyrics (adapted from the Cloud-Zero archive):

You asked for nothing.
That's what I gave you, ash for ashes, dust for dust.
Your trust is touching but misguided.
Bride, I'll be yours for one night.
I wonder, wonder really what you saw in me,
I'm not your type at all

And all the angels hold their breath
as my eyes rest upon the pretty girl who leads the choir.
Cry out their disgust for me.
They're crying for my bride
who smiles in white, does not suspect my next move in the game.

Again! "Will honour you and cherish you."
Again. "I'll share my worldly goods."
Again. "'til death, when we're parted."
Only words, don't mean a thing

Think of ways to run,
the sun paints patterns on the stained-glass windows.
Widows in their Sunday best reflect
about when they too were brides!
Can't hide their feelings, stealing seconds from an age
they'll never see again.

Again. "With this ring I pledge myself."
Again. "I do. I do. Shoo be doo doo wah."

Why do we have to be so humble,
mumble words we never mean?
It's obscene, the ultimate obscenity,
serenity on Sundays,
we're stars on Sundays.
Smiles on straight, maybe one day
the rewards will be there
for us. Just for us in heaven, just for us.

Amen. Amen. Amen as we left the church.

Why You Should Care:

This could be logically followed by "The Divorce."

The line "stars on Sunday" is used as the title for another song that is partially related to marriage.

No comments: