Thursday, September 15, 2011

Of All the Girls...

One main version:

* (1982) - Atomic Roses (2:11), Traumstadt I (2:14), Traumstadt I CD (2:08, 0:00-2:08)

An instrumental track with simple synth chords and movie samples. It sounds like a jam session. The "Traumstadt I" CD mix fades in slightly later, cutting off a few seconds of the keyboards, whereas the "Traumstadt I" cassette has an additional few seconds of keyboards that were not in "Atomic Roses." All mixes fade into the following song ("What's Next?")

Instruments: Clumsy synth chords, sometimes on two different tracks; occasional synthesized snare sounds played sporadically; bass guitar; dialog and sound effect samples from "The Big Sleep," "The Maltese Falcon," and "Casablanca"; swampy delay effect sometimes applied, especially at the end.

What It's About:

The title may be related to one of the famous quotes from "Casablanca": "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

Lyrics:

Next time I'll come on stilts wear a white tie and carry a tennis racket.

I doubt if even that will help.

You're not gonna frisk me.

Stand still, shut up.

Take your paws off me.

You would like to be on it?

Why? What's in Lisbon?

The clipper to America. I've often speculated on why you don't return to America. Did you abscond with church funds? Run off with--

The usual one.

I didn't know there was a usual one.

Oh, sure there is. It comes complete with diagrams on Page forty-seven of "How to be a Detective in Ten Easy Lessons", correspondence school textbook, and your father offered me a drink.

You must have read another one on how to be a comedian.

Hear what I said about the drink?

I'm quite serious, Mr. Marlowe. My father is not...

I said your father...

Help yourself!

I don't see what there is to be cagey about, Mr. Marlowe. And I don't like your manners.

Well I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners.

--lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.

Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

Oh I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.

I'll hum it for you. (Humming).

No comments: