Saturday, May 17, 2008

Oceans of Emotion

One main version:

* (1982) - Premonition (5:18), Under Triple Moons (3:59)

The song crossfades in from "Dying for the Emperor" and crossfades out into the "Fin" suffix, but Under Triple Moons fades out just as "Fin" is starting.

Instruments: Tinny acoustic drums; bass guitar; vocoder voice; single vocal track; warm organ chords; chugging organ chords.

Suffix "Ocean Fin" (1:20)

Crossfades in from "Oceans of Emotion." On "Under Triple Moons" it fades out just as it's beginning.

This is a snippet of the "Fin" track which appears on "Chemical Playschool 2," and which is so often used in transitions around this period. It is somewhat clumsily flipped from side to side, and fades out slowly.

What It's About:

One of many Dots songs about a distant, fragile sanctuary for two lovers, but in this case the imaginary sanctuary -- a boat floating on the "ocean of emotion" -- is shattered by a somewhat comical suicide. The narrator dreams that his dead lover is still watching him...he'd join her in death if he had the courage to kill himself.

Lyrics (adapted from the Cloud-Zero archive):

Searching in my drawer,
I had to find a photograph of you.
Were you really quite like I remember?
Cold Decembers on the pier,
a can of beer between us.
We were dreaming on the railings

of sailing on our own into the sunset,
an orange one with palm trees,
dolphins bouncing 'round the boat.
We'd live on coconuts, I'd build a hut in wood and grass.
Strong enough to last us through the storm,
keep us warm.

Why did our dream have to die?
Tell me why.

You were out there with me.
You felt the breeze pass through your hair,
held a seashell to your ear,
fearless, flying higher
in a world built just for us.
No visitors, nothing there to hurt us.
So why did you run away?

No explanations, no communication,
not a word.

Just a square inch in the paper said you took your life
what a waste.
Weren't you just a little hasty?
God, what a pitiful waste.
Why did our dream have to die?
I don't know why.

You could have picked a graceful method,
died like Cleopatra, where no scars remain.
A tube train just does nothing for your figure.
My disfigured princess!
Do you watch me through the night?
Are you watching now?

Well, I'd like to join you,
but I haven't got the courage.
But my dream lives on,
will never die. Never die. Never die.
On and on forever.

And my dream's quite eternal
on the ocean of emotion.

No comments: