Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Palace of Love

Two main versions which have nothing to do with each other.

* "Prayer Version" (1981) - Kleine Krieg (0:44)

A short track mainly featuring a priest who slowly intones "Oh almighty God, grant [?] that we who here to honour, to the memory of those who have died in the service of their country. They [?] by the strength of their love and fortitude, that forgiving all selfish and unworth motives we may live only to thy glory and to the service of mankind, through Jesus Christ our lord."

Unavailable elsewhere.

Instruments: Low-pitched oscillating synths sometimes going through rotor effect; quacking synth noises; sped-up sequenced keyboard played backwards; sample of priest.

* "1983 Version" (1983) - Curse (2:56)

After a short sample of sped-up cheering and a few snippets of choral singing, the song fades in with the first line of lyrics obscured.

On the CD this is combined with "Dolls' House" on a single track. It begins at 4:54.

Instruments: Slow keyboard line; quiet synth accents; single vocal track; stabbing synth noises during climax.

What It's About:

A woman is totally devoted to her lover. She'll support anything he wishes to do, and will stand by him and wait for him if necessary. In desperation she screams that she belongs to him, body and soul.

Lyrics (adapted from the Cloud-Zero archive):

"Don't mind me..." she whispered. "Go ahead and do just what you
want to do. Go rob a bank or go smash a window.

I'll be waiting here with your slippers and your tea.
If they haul you off to jail, I'll visit every Tuesday.

Keep the chain lock on the door, buy everything mail-order.
Plant those photographs of you on every wall, in every corner.

Have you staring from the ceiling, stay loyal even when I'm dreaming.
I'll see no one else. No one else at all.

You're my universe, my guide, my reason for existence.
I'll do anything you ask me, anything at all!

I belong to you. Belong. You own me, made me, have the power
to destroy me... Go ahead I'm yours! I'm yours!

I'm on all fours, just do the hell what you like!
I'm yours, you have my soul. Sell it if you want to.

I'm yours. I'm yours! I'm yours!
Go ahead, sell my soul.

I'm yours..."

Ambiguity:

I have chosen to believe that the "priest" section on Kleine Krieg is "The Palace of Love," though it could easily be (or include) the preceding "Defeated Palace" suffix of "Break Day." Regardless, there is nothing on Kleine Krieg that sounds remotely like that section of "Curse," so it's anybody's guess why the songs have the same name.

No comments: